Inspired by NPR's "This I Believe", a collection of personal doctrines as told by everyday, and not-so-everyday, people. I want to thank my mother for forcing us to listen to NPR everyday on our morning car rides.
I asked people, and eventually myself when the question was thrown right back at me, what they believed in. I have included our responses, beginning with my own. Each break (-) denotes a new person. I hope you enjoy.
*This is still a work in progress. Additionally, I'm doing everything from my iPhone right now so excuse any misspellings and/or typos.
-
-
I believe in a Maker, but not necessarily that I am intended any more than this one miraculous life of mine. I believe in feigning happiness until it's real; in myself and my capabilities; in everyone's inherent right to be free and feel good; in doing what others say you cannot. I believe in great sex and good books. I believe in immersing myself in words and in surrounding myself with people who make me think but more importantly laugh. I believe windex is one of man's greatest inventions and that you can never have too many pillows. I believe our greatest calls to action and change are our experiences, and often times mistakes, that shame us most. I believe in love, and although most times it resembles someone throwing themselves headfirst against cement, I believe in bandaging the wounds and throwing one's self again, if not harder. I believe the greatest thing you can give another is your time. I believe in conversations, not monologues; coca-cola, never diet; loyalty, not convenience. I firmly believe that the most beautiful gift I've been afforded has been this magnificent burst of colors and sounds and shapes that make up my existence, and that even if nothingingness follows, it will be enough.
-
I believe in following your heart at that very moment because deep down we knows what’s best, even if what’s best changes daily. Forgiveness is a huge one because I’ve messed up thousands of times and was truly sorry. Respecting your body, which is why I’ve been celibate over a year; accepting others for who they are. I’ve started believing a little in astrology and how signs work and I’m cool with people based on their energy and vibes. It’s very easy to sense hidden motives in my opinion. And though I absolutely hate this about me, I rarely do things based on emotion. And I absolutely follow silence speaks volumes. I’m still not sure how I feel about Heaven. I’ve changed my views so many times though I do believe it’s true that you can’t hate God and not believe in Him at the same time. I believe we all have a soulmate in this world that may not necessarily be someone you date. I believe Ralph Lauren is the best perfume. I believe money makes the world go around but the best things in life are free and irreplaceable. My mom’s old bf used to say if God made anything better than water, He kept it for Himself and I see why now. And I also think love is a gift and a curse at the same time.
-
I believe in myself. I believe that if you set your mind on impossible you will accomplish improbable which is good enough for me. I believe in expectations and don’t worry about disappointment. I believe in good sex and great head. I believe that jello and orange juice are the best foods on earth and I believe that happiness in a relationship comes when both people have an indepth sense of commonplace.
-
I believe in the necessity of creative expression, the healing powers of laughter and a good hug; destiny/fate, the power of love, and the presence of a higher power.
-
I believe in honesty and communication.
-
I believe in life.
-
I believe in life. I believe in love. I believe in controlling my anger. I believe in hope even when things are hopeless. I believe in releasing my anger has led to less stress.
-
I believe in God. I believe that He writes each of our stories before we are even born. He knows our hearts because He made us the way we are. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe in living life to the fullest even if you step on a few toes.
-
Myself is what I believe in.
-
My life used to be governed by society but then I became my own person and now I live life for me, embracing the mind given to me. I think for myself. I believe in a higher being. I govern my life based on the morals and values instilled in me as a child, which include honesty, faith, trust, respect, integrity, selfless service, and love.
-
I believe in living in the moment. But I feel like you gotta give respect to earn it. And I live my life fast, but I like to sometimes sit and enjoy the small things. And I always like to learn.
-
I believe in the overall good of mankind. Keep your heels high and your expectations low. I believe that happiness is a choice you can make in any circumstance.
-
I try and not judge, picture myself in their shoes, respect people’s opinions and treat others how I would like to be treated. But I also let people know I could be your best friend or your worst enemy as well. I also don’t talk about people behind their back that I am friends with and respect.
-
I believe in God and family and energy.
-
I believe that relationships are the most important thing in the world and that our sole purpose in life is to uphold positive relationships with everything around you.
-
I believe in Karma, heavy.
-
The first thing that comes to mind is love. I try to act in a loving manner towards everyone. To love someone, for me, is to be willing to extend oneself to nourish your own and another’s growth. I love through sharing knowledge/lessons and by asking questions.
-
I believe in loyalty and becoming successful.
-
I believe in diversity.
-
I always try to perpetuate positivity when I interact with people because I feel like everything you say to or about people multiplies in magnitude as it’s passed from mouth to mouth. Saying negative things about people in effect ends up surrounding you with negativity because everyone in your friend circle is talking about it.
-
I am a strong believer in Karma. I believe that people will treat you the way that you treat other people. I believe if you intentionally do something to hurt someone then later down the road you will also be hurt. “Why do bad things happen to good people?” kind of shows that if you treat people bad, its expected that you will be treated bad and people aren’t at all as confused about why a bad thing happened to you. Have you ever noticed how nice people radiate happiness and seem so incredibly approachable? The goodness they have on the inside makes it hard to do them wrong, but a person who has bad inside, for lack of better words, seems unpleasant to be around. I believe that's karma at work. If you observe a person for long enough, just watch them when they don't realize they're being watched, you can get a glimpse at their insides. So many times I've been guilty of judging people before I know them. I've been rude to some of the nicest people. And when I got to know them, guilt consumed me. Now, when people do that same thing to me, I'm accepting it. I truly do see it as my karma, as my punishment for once being on the other end of the stick and being the person who judged.
-
Just be light about things. Never take anything to seriously and try not to hold grudges.
-
I believe the children are our future. For real though. And these parents need to actually raise their children so they can become valuable members of society and not thugs, wanna be rappers, video hoes, whores in general or spoiled rich brats with a sense if entitlement with no work ethic. I also believe that you should always treat people well. Even the people we don't like. I believe that everyone is crazy so when finding a significant other you just have to find someone whose crazy matches your crazy. I also believe that laughter is usually the best medicine. Although sometimes penicillin works better.
-
I believe in honesty, trust, and karma.
-
I believe in fate, treating people how you wanna be treated and second chances. I believe in karma.
-
My central belief is being as righteous as possible (not necessarily on a religious angle). So doing the things and being the person that is the least controversial to the most people. I guess that's one way to put it... Although I'm not exactly primarily concerned with pleasing people and getting by under the radar. On another note I do (hopefully reasonably) maintain a hint of arrogance and self absorption... Wanting to be seen, wanted, envied, and admired. But it's something I actively strive to keep in check. Realizing that world does not revolve around me and I'm not the center of any universe occuring outside of my own head. Moreover, I want to make an impact on the people who's life I have a place in. My parents, brother, nieces, younger family, best friends, close friends, mentees, and lover. I despertately want their respect and admiration. Legit. I want to deserve it... FEEL I deserve it, ya know? And it goes without saying, I want to be in love. Apparently, that's huge for me.
-
I believe that every being has a God, for lack of a better term, in and around themself. A force that helps dictate their decisions on a conscious and unconscious level. And hence, should act accordingly because when it comes down to it, were all in the same struggle. Each body is filled with and thrives off of energy, if you will, which feeds this force. I feel as if, in a sense, all human conflict revolves around an on-going battle in which we all try to draw this energy from one another in order to build our own spirits to do whatever we see fit. But in actuality there is enough of this "energy" in our environment to more than sustain all of our beings and if we could all learn how to channel it from around us instead of attempting to gain it from each other the human race would move progressively forward at exponential speeds because time and energy will no longer be wasted on trivial issues. Instead of, for example, spending unheard of amounts of money on the military and drug enforcement, we might actually have a cure for cancer AIDS or even eliminate world hunger.
-
I believe that the human spirit is inherently good.
-
I believe in integrity, honesty, faith and respect to put it simply.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment